Portuguese Way by bike from Porto
From now on, you will no longer be a pilgrim, but a "bicigrino". That's because the Camino de Santiago can be traveled not only on foot but also by bike. Cycling is a wonderful alternative that allows you to cover longer stages without sacrificing the landscapes.
This route starts in Porto, enters Galicia through the town of Tui, and joins the Coastal Portuguese Way in Redondela. You will be welcomed by numerous historical town centers, such as those in Ponte de Lima or Pontevedra.
Therefore, you will enjoy mountain landscapes as well as the Vigo and Pontevedra estuaries and the vineyards of the region, where Albariño wine is produced.
Moreover, if your goal is to obtain the Compostela, you have chosen the right option, as this stretch covers 250km. Remember that one of the requirements to be granted the Compostela is to cover at least 200km by bike.
What is included?
You can see a summary of the services included in the package
- 5 nights of accommodation in hotels / rural accommodations in half board (dinner and breakfast) during the Way.
- 1 night of accommodation in a hotel in Porto in B&B,
- 1 night of accommodation in a hotel in Santiago de Compostela in B&B,
- Bicycle rental for 9 stages and basic accessories: panniers, tools kit, helmet and cover gel pad for the saddle. All the bikes includes pannier rack, bottle holder, lock and bell. Delivery charges of the bike to the first hotel of the program and return to the rental office in Santiago de Compostela are included.
- Basic travel insurance.
Day 1: Porto
Arrival in Porto at your own expense. Accommodation in a hotel in Porto.
Accommodation in a hotel in Porto.
Day 2: 1st Stage "Porto - Barcelos" (56 Km).
After breakfast, bike pick-up at the accommodation and start the bike pilgrimage to Barcelos. But first, you have to pass through San Mamede, a challenging stretch that will be worth it for what lies ahead. Dinner and accommodation in a hotel or rural house in the Barcelos area.
Day 3: 2nd Stage "Barcelos - Ponte de Lima" (33 Km).
Breakfast and continuation of the bike route to Ponte de Lima. Dinner and accommodation in a hotel or rural house in the Ponte de Lima area.
Day 4: 3rd Stage "Ponte de Lima - Tui" (43 Km).
We start this stage with a good breakfast to gather strength and climb the Labruja mountain pass. If you want to make this stretch easier, you can bypass it by the road. Only half of the stage remains to reach Galician lands. Dinner and accommodation in a hotel or rural house in the Tui area.
Day 5: 4th Stage “Tui - Pontevedra” (56 km)
After breakfast, continue the pilgrimage. In Galicia, the goal is to reach the provincial capital, Pontevedra, passing through important municipalities such as Porriño or Redondela. Dinner and accommodation in a hotel or rural house in the Pontevedra area.
Day 6: 5th Stage “Pontevedra - Padrón” (40 km)
After breakfast, a final push to reach the capital of the most famous DO peppers in Spain. But before that, halfway through the route, you will pass through one of the most well-known thermal towns, Caldas de Reis. Dinner and accommodation in a hotel or rural house in the Padrón area.
Day 7: 6th Stage "Padrón - Santiago de Compostela" (22 Km).
After breakfast, continue the pilgrimage. The final 22 km to reach the cathedral. You deserve a good rest and an afternoon of tapas in the city. Accommodation in a hotel in Santiago de Compostela.
Day 8: Santiago de Compostela
Breakfast and check-out.
INFORMATION ABOUT THE BIKES: Bikes are provided by: www.CyclingtheCamino.com, company specialized in renting bikes on the Camino de Santiago.
MTB model equipped with 1x12 gears, disc brakes and 29" wheels
- Shift Sram SX Eagle 1x12s
- Fork Suntour XCM RL 29", Regulable, T: 100mm
- Rim 29"
- Frame: Limbo 296
- Fork Suntour XCM RL 29", Remote poplock
- Frame - Aluminium
- Front derailleur Sram SX Eagle
- Brakes Shimano MT200, Disco Hidráulico F-1660 / R-160
- Crank Sram SX Eagle, 34t
- Cassette Sram SX Eagle 11-50t
- Pannier Rack included
- Safety retroreflectors
Sizes: S | M | L | XL
DOWNLOAD BIKE RENTAL CONDITIONS:
- Travel bag for the saddle, strapless toeclip and bike pick up service at the hotel in Santiago de Compostela.
- Extra night accommodation in Porto and/or Santiago de Compostela.
- Private transfer to the beginning of the pilgrimage.
- One day trips (regular or private) to Finisterre, Rías Baixas, Ribeira Sacra...etc., guided tour of Santiago de Compostela...etc.
- Optional insurance with coverage of cancellation costs.
- Renting of a 29" bike or E-Bike.
For the E-Bike option, a deposit will be requested, which will be refunded once the bicycle is delivered at the end of the program.
- Single room: 1175.00 €
- Double room: 1890.00 €